Wednesday 1 June 2016

Independent Learning Log #1 By Aastha (01)

Date:
Thursday, 2 June 2016

Source:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/tremors-felt-in-singapore/2838172.html

What I did:
I went to the Channel NewsAsia website to search for interesting articles and came across one which caught my eye. It was about the recent tremors felt in Singapore which had caused panic amongst the Singaporeans who had experienced it and reported the matter.

What I learnt 

1) Words I did not understand:
Magnitude: The extent of something; the more the magnitude of an earthquake, the more destructive it can be

Epicenter: the point on the earth's surface vertically above the focus of an earthquake

Meteorological: about the science dealing with the atmosphere and its phenomena, including weather and climate.

2) From the article, I also learnt about what to do in the event of a tremor:







Summary:
This article is about tremors being felt across many parts of Singapore by residents, after a 6.5 magnitude earthquake was recorded off the island of Sumatra, Indonesia. The Channel NewsAsia received at least seven reports pertaining to this matter. It was reported that strong tremors were also felt in neighbouring Johor, Malaysia. Nevertheless, I am glad that no damage or loss of lives was reported.









No comments:

Post a Comment