Wednesday 8 June 2016

#1 Independent Learning Log by Ria D.N

Source: link

What I did: I browsed through some articles on ancient humans and found this article which caught my eye. I also decided to improve my vocabulary.

What I learnt

Sediment- sediment is a naturally occurring material that is broken down by processes of weathering and erosion, and is subsequently transported by the action of wind, water, or ice.

Pleistocene- pleistocene is the geological epoch which lasted from about 2,588,000 to 11,700 years ago

Predation- the preying of one animal on others/the action of attacking

Summary

Bite marks was found on a femur of an ancient human, found in a cave in the suburbs of what is now Casablanca in Morocco, an area known to be rich in fossils. The bite marks were of a large carnivore, now suspected to be large hyenas. However, investigators do not know whether the early human was attacked and killed by hyenas acting as predators, or whether he/she died from other causes and was then picked over by scavenging hyenas.

No comments:

Post a Comment