Tuesday 7 June 2016

Independent Learning Log #1 by Kinjal Agarwal (02)

Date:
7 June 2016, 11:30am - 12pm
Source:
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/reading-comics-in-class-its-just-a-way-to-learn-maths


What I did:
I wanted to get in touched with the recent news, so I decided to read some news from The Straits Times. I read some articles that I would be interested in. I found this article eye-catching.


What I learned:
Words I did not understand:
deputy - a person who is appointed to undertake the duties of a superior in the superior's absence
discourse - written or spoken communication or debate


Summary:

This article is about the fact that reading comics based on daily ways to apply Mathematics can definitely improve children’s Mathematics. The article also told me that using methods drawn from story-telling or comics is quite new. Since it was hard to engage low-achieving students in Mathematics, this project should make a difference in teaching from before.The method has even shown signs of effectiveness in early stages. It has been proven that students relate better to familiar scenarios found in comic strips, such as calculating discounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment