Sunday 5 June 2016

Independent learning log 1 by Josh Teo

Date:
6/6/16

Source:
BBC knowledge

What I did:
I read up on one of my old issues of BBC knowledge during my free time. As I love animals, I was interested in a particular section of the book titled, Canine Comeback

What I have learnt:
- In the late 1970's, only about 100 Canis lupus italicus, also known as the Italian Grey Wolf were left in the wild after people started hunting for them.
-The central and Southern Apennines were legally protected in1976 in order to let the wolves thrive again.
-Currently there are 1000 to 2000 wolves in Italy.
-Breeding with dogs is a considerable threat to the wolves as the offsprings will loose their genetic purity.

Summary:The wild wolves of Italy were under serious threat during the 1970's as decades of persecution wiped most of them out, with only about 100 of them surviving in central and southern Apennines, but the arrival of legal protection arrived during 1976. There are about 1000 to 2000 Italian wolves living in the protected area. However, the species are still in conflict with humans, as humans are trying to hybrid this wolf with other dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment