Wednesday 23 March 2016

Language Arts Level Test 1 corrections- Ria D.N (3)

       I looked out of hotel window. The lake was an emerald green. Beside it was a hill, short enough for one to climb easily. It was my first day in Australia and I had been excited. However, all the adventure was starting the next day. I asked my mother if I could explore the area around the hotel and she agreed.

       Streaks of pink and purple striped the bright orange sky. I knew it was going to be dark soon but I told myself, "this will be worth it." I climbed the hill slowly and as each moment passed, it became darker and darker.

       I lay down on the cool, soft grass and looked the sky. A carpet of shimmering stars floated above me. It was a magical night. I then sat up and looked at the ageless moon. I closed my eyes as I was plunged further and further into darkness and all I could hear was the waves crashing into the rocks.      

       I took a deep breath as if I had never breathed before and knew I should head back to my hotel but as I turned all I saw were millions of  lights glaring at me. All the buildings looked the same to me. My phone's battery had died and there was nothing I could do. I cautiously made my way down the hill. By then, I knew I was lost. A bead of perspiration trickled down my forehead. I quickened my pace and my heart quickened it's. An endless row of hotels lay before me. My eyes frantically searched for 'Outback Hotel' but could not find it. Then, a hand tapped my shoulder.

       I turned to see a woman with fiery red hair tied in a messy bun. She held a beer bottle in one hand and a cigarette in another. I took a step back from her. "What do you want from me?" I asked her. She licked her chapped lips and smiled, revealing her stained teeth. "What hotel are you looking for, girl?" she asked me. I was not planning to tell her but I did not have any choice. "Outback Hotel"

       She walked, stumbling every few steps, and I guessed she expected me to follow. "You shouldn't have trusted her. What were you thinking?" a voice in my head repeated repeatedly. After walking in silence for a few minutes, she stopped. On my right, stood 'Outback Hotel'. Relieved, I ran into the lobby where my mother was pacing up and down. She held me close to her and I suddenly felt secure.

       I ran back to the doorstep to see if the woman was still there. I wanted to thank her, to express my gratitude. As expected, she had left. My heart swelled with guilt.

       After that night, I never lost my way. I knew I had been lucky that night to have met her. So much could have gone wrong that night if she had not offered her help. Till this day, I am very thankful for her help and I still am very guilty for not thanking her.

No comments:

Post a Comment